You may be surprised to learn of certain historical events that took place during the same period.
When we try to put historical events into perspective, we often simplistically divide things between “old days” and “modern times,” because our brains can continually struggle with the concept of time.
But what happens when the things that you would consider to belong to the contemporary world are actually much older than we think? She continues to slide for you to discover:
1. Nintendo was founded when Jack the Ripper was still alive (1889)
2. The University of Oxford existed for hundreds of years before the Aztec Empire was founded (1428)
3. The first tube line in London opened on January 10, 1863. At that time, the Civil War was still raging in the United States.
4. The Ottoman Empire existed at the time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series (1908)
5. Until 1971, women did not have the right to vote in Switzerland.
6. Star Wars came out the same year as the last guillotine execution in France (1977).
7. The oldest living tree today (a bristle pine) was already 1,000 years old when the last woolly mammoth died.
8. Anne Frank and Martin Luther King Jr. were born in the same year (1929)
9. George Washington died in 1799. The first dinosaur fossil was discovered in 1824. George Washington never knew dinosaurs existed.
10. Woolly mammoths were still alive while the Egyptians were building the pyramids (2660 B.C.)
11. Harriet the tortoise (posing with Steve Irwin in the photo on the right), died in 2006, she had seen Charles Darwin in person.
12. Marilyn Monroe and Queen Elizabeth were born in the same year. Here (both 30 at the time) they are in a London Premier film in October 1956
13. Charlie Chaplin died in 1977, the same year Apple was founded.
14. The Eiffel Tower opened in 1889 for the World’s Fair, which was the same year Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” was painted.
15. Orville Wright, one of the Wright brothers who invented the airplane, was still alive when Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed (1945)
Did you imagine that these historical facts were so linked? The weather is so changeable that sometimes it catches us off guard and passes us by without realizing what happened. Share this note with your friends so that they are also surprised by these stories.